Tuesday, April 27, 2021

First Day

 I left on the first of August from my apartment in Lohja. My sleep schedule was not very good and the previous couple days was spent scrambling for all the necessary things for my trip and cleaning my apartment. I managed to get about two hours of sleep before I had to start heading towards Helsinki airport. I ate the same breakfast at the airport as with the first trip. I tried to get more sleep in the plane but I managed to get only about an hour and a half of sleep so that would have to do for the rest of the long day ahead. 

A couple of the 3rd teamers picked me up from the airport after I had something to eat after the landing. We had a 7-inning doubleheader that day and right next to the airport no less. I had to discard my hoodie straight away as it was way warmer there than in Finland. At the field I greeted everyone and was pleased to see the team again.

First game I helped coach as the first base coach. 

Second game I got the start at my usual spot at shortstop. The game didn't start too well for us, but towards the end we started scoring runs and we were threatening the home teams lead. In the end we managed to overcome a big deficit and came back to win the game. I played okay in that game, I was happy to get a hit in the first game. The conditions on the field were pretty brutal. It was about +30 degrees Celsius with no cloud cover and the dugout had a close resemblance to a metal container, so it was even worse in there. It also didn't offer any shade later on in the day. And since the game was a high scoring one, pitchers were changed regularly and innings were drawn out. When we would get out from the field to play offense, I would go behind the play area in the shade to try and recover if I wasn't up to bat. The less than 4 hour sleep and stress of travelling clearly didn't help matters. So blood sugar and hydration was low during the whole day. Fortunately we all managed to pull through and get a nice win out of it!


After the game we headed towards Haar. I linked up with Coach Alex for the keys to my apartment. After that I needed to get something to eat, so I headed over to the closest kebab shop, the only thing still open at that hour and bought a couple döners, one for the morning as I had nothing else to eat. The next day was spent recovering and I had to order food a couple times as shops weren't open on a Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment